Rafael Nadal withdraws from French Open due to injury, says ‘next year is my last year’
Rafael Nadal Will miss French Open For the first time since its debut in 2005 “Next year is my last year” in professional tennis after the 14-time champion announced on Thursday that he had withdrawn from the tournament due to injury.
The Spaniard suffered a groin injury during the second round Australian Open loss Mackenzie MacDonald was sent off in January and initially said he expected to be fit again in six to eight weeks.
However, in an update posted on social media on April 20 and again on Thursday, the 22-time Grand Slam champion said his recovery process is taking longer than expected.
Nadal also revealed that he will be off the court for the next “few months” as he recovers, meaning the 36-year-old will also miss Wimbledon.
“My ambition is to try to stop next year to give myself a chance to enjoy, it will probably be my last year on the professional tour,” Nadal said at a press conference at his Rafa Nadal Academy in Manacor, Spain.
“That’s my idea, still I can’t say 100% because you never know what can happen – but my idea and my motivation is to try to enjoy and say goodbye to all the tournaments that have been important to me. are During the tennis career [next] year, and just try to enjoy it, enjoy being competitive and being on the court, something that is not possible today.
“I really believe, if I continue now, I won’t be able to do it. I don’t know if I’ll stop, if I’ll ever be able to, but I know the odds are high.
The ‘King of Clay’ said he intends to return for the Davis Cup finals, which begin in September.
Nadal has lost just three times at the French Open since his triumphant debut in 2005, arguably one of the most impressive records in all of sports.
In 2009, he suffered one of the biggest upsets in tennis history after losing to Robin Soderling in the round of 16 before defeating Novak Djokovic in 2015 and 2021.
In 2016, Nadal withdrew before his third round match against compatriot Marcel Granollers due to a wrist injury.
Nadal has not played since the Australian Open and dropped out of the world top 10 for the first time since 2005 in March.
“Rafa, we can’t imagine how difficult this decision was,” Roland Garros wrote on Twitter” We will definitely miss you at this year’s Roland-Garros. Take care to come back strong on the courts.
“Hope to see you next year in Paris.”