Rochester NY Armory: Crowd pushing during concert apparently leaves 2 dead and 8 injured



A second person died “as a result of a large crowd push” during a concert in Rochester, New York, on Sunday night, police confirmed.

The victim, who police did not name Monday night, was one of two women in critical condition at Strong Memorial Hospital after the incident.

A 33-year-old woman was reported to have died in the stampede for the first time. Eight other people were injured.

Police initially responded to a report of shots fired inside Main Street Armory scene During a concert around 11:05 p.m

Rochester police said officers found several people injured inside but saw no evidence of a gunshot.

Rochester Police Lt. Nicholas Adams said, “Upon further investigation … none of the victims had any injuries consistent with the person who was shot.”

“The injuries appeared to be the result of a large crowd pushing for the exits after people’s accounts said they were gunfire.”

Atiya Holi was leaving the concert with her sister when she was caught in the deadly stampede, she told CNN.

He said he heard gunshots outside the venue.

“It looked like they were shooting outside, so everybody started running back in. Then it got crazy when everybody tried to get out again,” Holley said.

According to Holley, many people started running towards the main and emergency exits.

“I didn’t know where to go so I went through an emergency exit at the side of the venue. Then I was pushed down the stairs and my sister had to pick me up from the ground. We kept running to the parking lot after that,” Holly said. There, he said, he saw the injured musician.

The tragedy follows a series of deadly stampedes at entertainment events.

In 2021, eight people died at the Astroworld music festival in Houston.

Last fall, 158 people were killed in a stampede during Halloween festivities in a nightlife district in Seoul, South Korea.

Rochester officials have not publicly identified the woman who died.

Police said two of the nine people injured were in “critical, life-threatening condition”. Another seven people had non-life threatening injuries.

“It’s too early to say what caused the incident,” Rochester Mayor Malik Evans said Monday.

At a concert, the mayor said, “You don’t expect to be trampled,” adding that the tragedy “breaks my heart” and is “totally unacceptable.”

Police are interviewing concertgoers and security agents, Rochester Police Chief David Smith said. Investigators are also working with fire marshals to help determine the number of concertgoers in relation to venue capacity.

The venue, which has a maximum capacity of 5,000 people, is “current and in compliance” with all fire codes, according to a statement released Monday afternoon by the City of Rochester.

The Main Street Armory has two city code violations, one involving an unpermitted business operation at the rear of the property and an unpermitted “dwelling unit,” the statement said.

Eight Rochester police officers were stationed outside the building, which is why police were on the scene so quickly, according to the statement. Officers were placed there at the request of the place, who paid for their services.

Smith said the investigation is in its early stages, and police are asking anyone with video to see what happened next.

Rapper Gloriala, who was performing at the venue on Sunday night, prayed for those affected.

“I’m just hearing what happened … praying that everyone is OK,” she said tweeted.

Read original article here

Leave A Reply