‘Unbelievable’ 70-shot rally sends Australian Open fans into raptures



fan on Australian Open On was treated to a monster rally WednesdayWhich sent them into a frenzy as a result.

It happened in a match between home favorite Jason Kubler and No. 18 seed Karen Khachanov at the Jan Caen Arena.

Kubler narrowly lost the first set but had a chance to bounce back against Russia in the second. And so, they started exchanging shots.

Neither made a mistake nor emerged a meaningful winner as the rally progressed.

The tension in the stands was palpable as the spectators were riveted as the two players didn’t give each other an inch for nearly 90 seconds.

After such a spectacular rally, it was only fitting that it ended in an anti-climax – a backhand from Kubler clipped the net and just dropped over to win the point for the Australian, breaking Khachanov and sending the crowd into a 70-shot format. send in The rally ended.

“That’s the longest rally I think I’ve ever seen!” Commentator At Eurosport described it Later, it is called “unbelievable”.

This proved to be the catalyst for Kubler who broke serve again in the second set to level the match, but Khachanov eventually defeated the 28-year-old 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 in the third round. made a place 2022 US Open semi-finalist Frances Tiafoe.

Wednesday’s 70-shot rally was not even a record for an Australian Open, although Frenchmen Gilles Simon and Gael Monfils had a 71-shot rally on the same court in the third round in 2013.

According to ReutersThe longest rally in a competitive match was in 1984 between Gene Hepner and Vickie Nelson, who shared a 29-minute rally in Richmond, Virginia, that ended with a total of 643 shots.

All of this was still some way off the official world record for the longest tennis rally.

According to Guinness World RecordsThe longest tennis rally was held on 11 June 2017 between Italy’s Simone Frediani and Daniele Pecki, and involved 51,283 shots.

The two set out to attempt the record to “challenge themselves”. The attempt began at 6:23 a.m. and ended at 7 p.m., both wearing backpacks with water to stay hydrated during the day.

Read original article here

Leave A Reply